What is Dietetics?
Dietitians are experts in food and nutrition. They provide advice and education around how to appropriately manage diets and nutrition for people who may be affected by health conditions such as diabetes, obesity, cancer, heart disease, renal disease, gastro-intestinal diseases and food allergies. A dietitian can also help people maintain their health and reduce their risk of developing chronic illness down the track.
When should I see a Dietitian?
There are a lot of reasons that may lead to a person benefiting from the support of a dietitian. Some typical reasons why someone might be referred, or might independently choose, to see a dietitian include:
- A newly diagnosed chronic disease
- Signs that a chronic illness is not being managed such as increased Hba1c levels
- Significant weight change
- Recent poor food intake, poor appetite, or difficulty preparing or eating food
- Changes in medication
- Periodic reviews of medical nutrition therapy
- Wanting to improve sporting performance
- Medical nutrition therapy – working with patients to assess their health and nutritional needs and to assist them to manage their medical condition(s) and symptoms via the use of a specifically tailored diet. Medical nutrition therapy may also involve enteral nutrition provision, monitoring and evaluation for a wide range of conditions.
- Food service management – working with residential aged care facilities, child care centres and group homes for people with disabilities to provide clinical care, staff training, menu assessment and planning, and compliance monitoring of therapeutic diets.
- Community and Public Health Nutrition – working with non-government and government organisations to develop preventive health programs, diabetes education and cardiovascular education, food security programs, to deliver nutrition education for groups, and to deliver activities such as supermarket tours and cooking classes.
Rechelle has been working as an Accredited Practising Dietitian for several years. She has worked in a number of different settings and locations before finding her way to Sycamore Health.
Rechelle enjoys helping a variety of clients all with different goals and needs. She has extensive experience in individual nutrition management for those with chronic disease, body composition manipulation (fat loss, muscle gain) and generally healthy eating. Rechelle has extensive experience from working in a multidisciplinary medical practice to Queensland Health to the Fuel Your life dietician company.
When she’s not working, you’ll find Rechelle in the gym, hiking around the Sunshine Coast, reading a good book and spending time at the beach.
For more detailed information about Dietetics, please visit the Dietitians Association of Australia website.